Monday, February 9, 2015

"Goodnight my little princess." - Soeur Skalka (Week 56)

Companion shot
I think this quote sums up our companionship pretty well. Its been an AWESOME week. Nothing but happiness and laughter.


Soeur Skalka decided to call me her "Godmother" because I have been in her life ever since she was born (on the mission). I met her the first day she was in France, I went on exchange with her first transfer when she was in Toulouse AND I went on exchange with her second transfer when she was in Toulon (she was also in my district so we saw each other frequently). And now in her 3rd transfer we're companions! I think Heavenly Father was preparing us to love each other before we were even together so we could have the best transfer ever. :)

English Class Streetboard

Okay, I didn't say anything about Soeur Skalka in my last email so I will do that now! She is a little 4'11" beauty from Logan, Utah. She is a gymnast (and a really good one) and she goes to Utah State. Boooo. ;) She is a little ball of sunshine and literally she is never unhappy. She radiates! I love being with her.

We've had a great week! Its been weird, but its been good haha.

So much rain this week...

First of all. We went and visited Raphael this week with Natalie (I don't know if I've explained who she is yet but she goes to BYU and she's nannying a family that lives just outside the city so she'll be in our ward for a few months!) She is wonderful! Anyway, she came with us to visit Raphael. During our RDV we were talking about the Plan of Salvation and afterwards we were just chatting about how lucky we were to have this modern day revelation. Raphael said he knew for sure now that Joseph Smith really did have the first vision and that he was the prophet who restored the Church. I remember my first RDV with him when he told me that he didn't really believe in the BOM or in any of our prophets but just that he liked being at our Church because it made him happy. Its amazing how far he has come!

My cute companion, Soeur Skalka
So after Church yesterday I was sitting talking to Natalie and she told me that the family she is nannying for has apparently taken missionary lessons in the past and really loved it! The mom told Natalie that she had a ton of questions for her and that sometime they should sit and talk about it! Natalie said she's going to ask them if maybe we could come over again! So cool. But wait there's more. She then told us about this nanny who she met who had come to France a few years ago and didn't really know why she felt like she really needed to come. Natalie said that she had joined tons of different churches in the time she had been here and that she still hadn't found one that she really loved. Then Natalie gave her a BOM and she told us that she was planning on inviting her to Church!!! Natalie is so cool - she's basically a missionary too haha.
 
We were attempting to make a heart with arms & legs...
So remember that cool amie that we got last week? (The sister of a member in the ward.) Well turns out she doesn't speak French as well as I thought so we have to pass her to the Portuguese elders. :( BUT Antonio (her brother) told us that she is planning to come to our Church from now on so I think she will be baptized soon! The baptisms are going to start going crazy here. The Portuguese elders have sooooo much to do. (Also to answer your question mom: one is Brazilian and the other is half Brazilian so they're native speakers.)

Here's another poster we tried to imitate...

Oh cool experience this Sunday. So last week I prepared this lesson to give in Sunday school and we started super late and I hardly had any time so they told me I could do it again. Anyway, a couple things had happened that morning and I hadn't even reviewed the lesson and I wasn't feeling up to teaching at all. I said a prayer in my heart that the Spirit would be able to teach the lesson since I was feeling not adequate to teach. Somehow the lesson went perfectly. Afterwards this French man who I have a reaaaalllyyy hard time sparking came up to me and told me congratulations for the incredible lesson. YES!! I'm so grateful for the Spirit.

DL says we can't enter the dance competition:-(
Okay, timing has been weird since emails were cut in half so I think that's all the experiences I can share for this week. I'll try to get more included next week! But I wanted to share quickly what I learned this morning.

So this week I made a goal to study the woman in the scriptures! I started off today with Esther. She is soooo cool.

 15 ¶Now when the turn of Esther, the daughter of Abihail the uncle of Mordecai, who had taken her for his daughter, was come to go in unto the king, she required nothing but what Hegai the king’s chamberlain, the keeper of the women, appointed. And Esther obtained favor in the sight of all them that looked upon her. (Esther 2:15)

16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish. (Esther 4:16)

17 And in every province, and in every city, whithersoever the king’s commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness, a feast and a good day. And many of the people of the land became Jews. (Esther 8:17)

What I love about Esther is that she is meek and submissive but she is also courageous and strong in her conviction! And look what one woman was able to do! She saved an entire people and many converted because of her too. I want to be like Esther.

Man I wish I had more time to tell you more about what I learned about her!! Its ok, we'll talk when I get back. :) haha.

Bisoussss

Sœur Ev


No comments:

Post a Comment